We know that technically, summer really isn’t over for a couple of weeks so we understand the need to soak up the last rays of sun. Should you end up however, with a spare minute or two, or maybe even a rainy day, here are some easy ideas to welcome fall.
Southern Living has over 78 different ideas, each varying in their degree of difficulty. Since we tend to be more on the craft challenged side of things, these were some of our favorites:
Before you know it, the holidays will be here. Please don’t think we’ve jumped the gun, the truth of the matter is that it takes a bit to get a home ready for a new season. Rather than call them fall chores, let’s call them, fun fall tasks for the family:
- Schedule professional carpet cleaning early this month! Warm October afternoons speed carpet drying. Carpet cleaning firms get busy by the end of October, so schedule now for best service.
- Prepare the kitchen for holiday cooking. Clean and organized kitchen cabinets, paying particular attention to baking supplies, pans and equipment.
- Turn mattresses front-to-back and end-to-end to equalize wear.
- Wash interior windows
- Launder or clean all bedding: mattress pads, pillows, duvets, blankets, comforters. Tuck the family into a warm and cozy winter bed.
- Touch up paint on trim, railings and decks. Use a wire brush to remove flaking paint; prime bare wood first.
- Check caulk around windows and doors. Follow manufacturer’s recommendations to re-caulk if needed.
- Inspect external doors and garage doors. Do they close tightly? Install weather-stripping, door thresholds if needed.
- Check gutters and downspouts. Clear of debris if necessary. In cold-weather areas, consider installing heating cable to prevent ice dams.
These are just a few of the items suggested, check out the rest of the list from Organized Home.
Keep on Mowing (and drop the blade
- Aerate the Soil
- Rake the Leaves (Ugh- our raking tips are coming soon, after the Craft Brewery Blog-see what we did there)
- Fill in Bald Spots
- Weed Control (apparently your lawn soaks in everything in the fall, so it’s a great time for weed killer
Enjoy the rest of your summer. If a change of season brings a change of address, we are ready to assist. Contact us today!