2014 has come, and nearly gone! And what a year it has been! Before we say hello to 2015, we thought we’d take a stroll down memory lane and revisit 2014. We certainly saw some ups & downs, and one thing’s for sure: it was a year for the history books!
Around the World & Our Nation
It was quite a year for us, and according to CNN, here are the stories that most got us talking:
- The NFL’s troubles off the field– this season the National Football League might have felt more like an show on Court TV. With controversy over the commissioner, allegations of abuse, and health issues of players, it was certainly a dramatic season off the field. We especially remember watching our beloved Jim Kelly’s battle with cancer- and he couldn’t have made his fans more proud during his illness & recovery! #KellyStrong
- The Ebola epidemic– the major outbreak of this deadly disease swept across parts of Africa & also hit a little closer to home, with a handful of cases here in the United States.
- Unrest in Ferguson and across the nation- we watched as our nation responded to the death of Michael Brown & the controversy surrounding the police officer involved in his shooting.
- Missing Malaysian flight 370– when this commercial airplane was lost, the world spent days searching, and still have not been able to locate it.
2014 also had some interesting trends; here are some of our favorites:
- The Ice Bucket Challenge, which raised over $100 million dollars, and immeasurable awareness for ALS. Did you participate? Watch any of the funny videos online? We will definitely remember 2014 as the year we all poured ice water over ourselves for a good cause!
- We said goodbye to the trendy hipster mustache and hello to the trendy hipster beard! We saw beards decorated with flowers in the summer & Christmas decorations in the winter!
- Merriam-Webster named “culture” as the word of the year!
- Pantone named “Radiant Orchid” as the color of the year!
- The “Frozen” phenominon swept the nation, and we are still singing “Let It Go” and “Do You Wanna Build a Snowman.” The Frozen soundtrack was the best selling album of the year!
- And as of this post, Marvel’s “Guardians of the Galaxy” topped the box office for the year!
Our community had quite the year too, some of the most memorable stories of the year:
- Our community mourned the death of Rochester Police Officer, Daryl Pierson. His memory and sacrifice will not be forgotten.
- We got to watch Pittsford native Abby Wambach play in the Women’s World Cup! She lead the US team to victory over Haiti and was just named Female player of the year.
- We came together, literally, and formed a human flower. Turns out that we are Guinness World Record Holders! #LilacFest
We want to know- what stories or trends stood out to you this year??
With super low interest rates and new down payment programs, 2015 can be the year you make a move and we would love to help!