Celebrating All Things Pumpkin in Rochester NY
It’s time. We’ve let the apples have their due. It’s time to celebrate all things Pumpkin (hence the capital letter), especially since word on the street indicates that there’s a shortage, at least of the canned variety. Fear not, there are many ways to have your pumpkin and eat it too.
Yes, it’s time to grab your pumpkin and before you search willy nilly, you need to do your research. According to AllAboutPumpkins.com (Yes, there is website dedicated to all things pumpkin.) here are the strategies we need to follow:
- Choose a pumpkin that feels firm and heavy for its size.
- Choose a pumpkin that has consistent coloring throughout.
- Turn the pumpkin over and place pressure on the bottom with your thumbs. If it flexes or gives your pumpkin is not fresh.
- Look for soft spots, mold, wrinkles or open cuts that would indicate damage or early spoilage.
- Choose a pumpkin with a solidly attached stem.
- A green stem indicates a freshly harvested pumpkin.
- Place your pumpkin on a flat surface to check to see if it will sit flat after being carved.
Watch for future blogs on how to carve and where to pick them.
Yes, right before the calendar changes to October, the smell of pumpkin spice everything is in the air and lattes, according to those who love fall, are a must have and one of the best ways to welcome the season. Now, if you’re going to put out the cash for this drink, make sure it’s worth you’re while. The Huffington Post has you covered and has nationally ranked the major chains, on their Pumpkin Spice Lattes. (you’re welcome) Which latte is ranked number one? Read the article and find out. (#nospoilershere)
Now, if you have some time, you can always make your own pumpkin latte, and to be honest, it will save you money and calories if you can make it the healthy way. Here’s one of the easiest recipes (#kitchenchallenged) we found from Spark Recipes:
Minutes to Prepare: 1
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 2 tbsp canned pumpkin
- 1 cup unnsweetened vanilla almond milk, heated if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Sweetener to taste (optional–calories not included)
Carefully pour the pumpkin mixture into the remaining coffee and serve immediately.
So that latte recipe only called for 2 tbsp of canned pumpkin. What can you do with the rest of it? We’re glad you asked. Rachel Ray has come to save the day with some great ideas:
Breakfast, lunch or dinner, it’s all things pumpkin.
Choosing the right pumpkin or recipe is just the beginning of all fall has to offer. It’s a great real estate market too, and the perfect house is waiting for you. Contact us today, and we’ll get you connected to our trusted mortgage professional. Together we’ll find the perfect patch for you to live.
Penfield is a lively town, located on the southern tip of Irondequoit Bay and just outside of the City of Rochester. Follow this blog to discover more of what our town has to offer; from great local businesses to awesome events, we'll cover it all!
Courtney Dudek Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Never miss a thing! Subscribe and have new posts sent right to your inbox!