Spring Allergies? There’s an App for That! And a Pineapple Too!
While Spring is a welcome sight for many, for others it is received with mixed emotions. Often, “Welcome Spring”means “Welcome Allergies” and some cities have it worse than others! (Whew, Rochester is not in the top 10! To find out which ones are, click here) Aside from locking yourself in a room with closed windows and central air and never leaving your home, what can you do?
You can take back Spring, by following these 20 steps listed in an article by Accuweather.com
Having taken more over the counter medications for allergies than I can count, I am intrigued by the home remedies. I’m kind of partial to the pineapple suggestion.
19. Combat symptoms with home remedies
As hard as you try to keep pollen out of your life, chances are you will still suffer symptoms. Before you reach for over-the-counter medications, there are home remedies that may provide relief. Consider the following:
- A neti pot or saline nasal spray can help rinse and soothe sinuses.
- While the benefits of local honey for allergies has been debated, many still swear by it.
- Bromelain, an enzyme found in pineapple, has been shown to ease sinus inflammation.
- Spirulina, eyebright, and goldenseal supplements are helpful for some people.
- A few drops of eucalyptus essential oil in the bottom of the shower can make for a great, soothing steam treatment to help the nasal passages.
- Make a mug of hot peppermint tea; before drinking, breathe the minty steam, which can work as a mild decongestant and expectorant.
Many make a plan to dodge and weave and avoid the allergens when they are at their highest level:
As the article suggests, if you know what you are allergic to, you can map it. In fact, many local news stations will mention the allergy index in their forecasts or you can check online.
There’s also a variety of Allergy Apps (of course there is) to choose from that can help you track on the go:
Allergy Alert from Pollen.com
Allergycast by Zyrtec
WeatherBug Elite: from the Pollen Journal
To save time and money, it’s always great to check in with your local pharmacist. Click here for a pharmacy that will give you the personal strategy you need in the allergy battle.
Spring is finally here and that’s nothing to sneeze at!!
If you would like to live in the Penfield area, click here!
Penfield is a lively town, located on the southern tip of Irondequoit Bay and just outside of the City of Rochester. Follow this blog to discover more of what our town has to offer; from great local businesses to awesome events, we'll cover it all!
Courtney Dudek Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Never miss a thing! Subscribe and have new posts sent right to your inbox!